Saturday, November 8, 2008

Michael Crichton, One of the Greats


I loved Mr. Crichton's writing. He was an inspiration to me ever since I read his first book, Andromeda Strain. I was so sad and SHOCKED to hear that he passed away last Tuesday, I couldn't believe it. He was the author of so many great books, Timeline, Eaters of the Dead, State of Fear, Lost World are just a few. My all time favorite book is Jurassic Park. Not because it was a such a great story and movie, which it was, but because of the many profound passages the book contained that are said by the quirky scientist , Malcolm There are many, but one that I will never forget is when Malcolm says: "...The medieval world of feudal politics and religious dogma and hateful superstitions fell before science. But, in truth, this was because the medieval world didn't work any more. It didn't work economically, it didn't work intellectually, and it didn't fit the new world that was emerging."

How right you were, Mr. Crichton, a new world is emerging.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very, very sad. So young. My wife, Vanessa, broght this to my attention this past weekend. I was extremely surprised none of the local new stations mentioned his passing. His writings were so easy to follow. There was never any confusion as to what was going on. You could lay down his works, pick it up a few months later, and be right back into the story. His last, as far as I know, work "Next", was so right on. Again, taking place in the area we grew up in, Long Beach.